Antisocial behaviour

About antisocial behaviour

We want you, your family and neighbours to enjoy living in your home and community.

We take reports of antisocial behaviour very seriously and will take the necessary steps to protect residents.

If a crime is taking place or if you feel that you or someone else is in immediate danger, always call 999.

If it is a non-emergency or you would like to report antisocial behaviour to the police, please call 101 or contact the Safer Neighbourhood Team.

Antisocial behaviour is unwelcome activity that causes alarm and distress to people, including:

  • verbal or physical abuse
  • criminal damage
  • vandalism and graffiti
  • noise nuisance
  • flytipping
  • threatening or intimidating behaviour
  • selling drugs
  • nuisance driving and nuisance vehicles
  • pets fouling public places
  • racial or sexual harassment
  • homophobic or other harassment towards members of the LGBT community.

How to report antisocial behaviour

You can report antisocial behaviour by contacting us during working hours (9am-5pm).

In an emergency at other times, please call 999.

When you report incidents of antisocial behaviour please try to provide as much information as possible. This should include:

  • what the problem is and how it affects you
  • who is causing the problem
  • how long the problem has been going on for
  • how many incidents have taken place (please provide times and dates if possible).

Action we will take

After you report antisocial behaviour we will arrange an interview with you. This will be within one working day for emergency cases and five working days for low risk cases.

Where appropriate, we will take immediate action to secure properties.

Your Housing Officer will offer you support and advice throughout the process. You can expect Phoenix to:

  • take all reports of antisocial behaviour, nuisance and harrassment seriously
  • act quickly and intervene as early as possible
  • keep you informed about the action we are taking.

Investigating antisocial behaviour

We will investigate the complaint by:

  • interviewing you and agreeing an action plan with you
  • putting an action plan in place, outlining what we will do
  • contacting and interviewing any witnesses
  • contacting the police and others, such as social services.

With your permission, we will interview those responsible. If there is proof that there has been antisocial behaviour, we will begin appropriate action. For example:

  • send the perpetrator a warning letter
  • refer them to mediation, if both parties agree
  • refer them to another agency for action to be taken, such as the police or social services
  • ask them to sign a contract to say they will change their behaviour and describe how they will do this.

Legal action

Although legal action is the last step, in serious cases we will take tenancy enforcement action. The actions we could take might include:

  • apply for an injunction
  • apply for an antisocial behaviour order
  • apply for possession (by serving a Notice Seeking Possession) to evict them from their home.

We can evict people from their homes in appropriate cases where we have tried all other solutions or the problem is very serious. We need strong evidence to be able to do this, and it is up to the court to decide whether or not to make a possession order.

We can provide you with support such as interpreters and assistance if the case goes to court. We will stay in regular contact with you and make sure you know what we are doing.

Domestic violence

Domestic violence is where someone close to you, such as a partner or family member, is threatening or violent towards you.

Our first aim is to minimise any risk of harm to residents (and their children) reporting domestic violence and abuse.

Our support includes:

  • To provide support and advice on commencing legal action against perpetrators.
  • To see residents affected by domestic violence within 24 hours of the first report.
  • To make improvements to the security of your home.
  • To keep in regular contact with residents affected by domestic violence.
  • To have accurate recording systems.
  • To signpost you to other organisations who can provide specialist support.

Phoenix works in partnership with local agencies to actively reduce the instances and impact of domestic violence. These include:

  • Lewisham Council
  • Metropolitan Police
  • Victim Support and Refuge Independent Domestic Violence Agency (IDVA) services.

If you are experiencing domestic violence and are in immediate danger, call the police on 999.

Help and support is also available from the National Domestic Violence Helpline on 0808 200 0247.